Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Day


New Year's Light 2    9x12    oil on canvas


It's been a while since I posted anything, sorry about that. I've been painting on my regular schedule but just have not been very happy with anything I've done recently.  Today was the Second Annual New Year's Day PAAC Paintout. It was a really nice day to be outside and it give the new year a really nice fresh start. Wasn't too cold, unlike last year at 8 degrees. Because it's winter and everything is pretty grey, I decided to go back to basics and use a limited palette of Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, and Payne's Grey (with a little Davies Grey too) and White. I accidentally dumped my turp right at the start of the painting, so I did the whole thing with a knife. One thing I like about knife paintings is they happen a lot faster. It's nice not to linger too long and over work any part of the painting. It's also a lot easier to correct mistakes.
Since it's the new year I'd like to thank a few people who really helped me last year. First, I'd like to thank my wife April for supporting me while I get the whole painting thing off the ground. Thanks to PAAC for being a great group, and special thanks to Cliff for picking all the paintout spots, taking the time to discuss Art, free advice, and the gallery. Also, thanks to Leslie for her work with the group and for not giving up despite adversity. Thanks to Nancy for her advice and very helpful critiques. Thanks to all the artists who have come to (or run) the paintouts.. I love looking at all your work and it is greatly inspiring! Lastly, thanks to Dr. Brad O'Neill for offering his office walls to hang my art!  Happy New Year!