Tuesday, May 8, 2012

4-24-2012 Ruby Hill Park


Denver Skyline - Ruby Hill Park    9x12    oil on panel


I've never tried a city scene with buildings in it and the view from Ruby Hill was nice. I love looking at buildings and even photographing them, but for some reason when it comes to painting them I'm just not interested. So with that in mind, I picked this scene thinking that I could make the buildings more of a 'landscape' and less of a 'city' scene. It actually turned out to be a lot of fun to do. At first I was overwhelmed with all the buildings in the foreground, but after squinting down a lot it became fun to just see color spots and paint them in. The only parts that needed to look building-like where the ones silhouetted against the sky. Despite being fun to do, I don't know if I will do something like this again.  

3 comments:

Nancy Hawkins said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Jon! Exquisite! Now it is my favorite of anything you have done!

Anonymous said...

very nice, very nice

Jon Holdredge said...

Thanks guys!