Tuesday, May 8, 2012

5-5-2012 Rio Grande Gorge


Rid Grande Light - Midday    8x10    oil on panel

This was painted midday in the Rio Grande Gorge. I was down in Taos for the 2012 PAAC show, and took a little trip down to the town of Pilar. Next to Pilar, down in the gorge is Rio Grande State Park. These rocks are across on the other side of the gorge way up high. It was a nice warm May day and I liked how the shadows faded away to a purplish color in the midday sun. I'm still using a limited palette of Venetian Red, Yellow Ochre and Ultramarine Blue. It was a bit hard to get some of the rock colors the way I saw them with this palette. If I paint there again I will change up the palette to better capture the color. Too bad it's so far away, I could spend weeks there painting non-stop.


No comments: