Tuesday, January 17, 2012


South Valley Sunlight    8x10    oil on panel


Today's paint out was supposed to be at a different location, but it was crazy windy and cold. I'd guess the wind chill was well below zero. No one was there when I got there so I hiked around a little bit and decided it was just too windy to paint there. Ted was there before I got there and felt it was to windy also. I wanted to get out of the wind so I drove downhill to a small open space called South Valley Park. It's the same place I did 'January Morning' below. It was not windy at all and a lot warmer there.
Like the last 3 posts, I am still working with the 'dead' palette of Yellow Ochre, Venetian Red, and Payne's Grey (plus white). I am always amazed at how blue Payne's grey looks when lightened and against other colors. Unlike the last few paintings, I did not add another blue to the palette (or any other color), and strangely this looks 'bluer' than the ones that actually had blue in it. This was a quick little sketch and I am glad I got one done today!

No comments: